Buying property or apartments in Estonia?

• Hi!
    I am a swedish e-res and interested in maybe buying a flat or small property in Estonia. I am not sure about how the regulations are different from in Sweden, and if i "buy" a flat - what responsibilities do i have for maintenance - what am i allowed to change inside it etc?

Also - do you think it would be possible to buy one without even visiting, using only e-res ID?
    If you know any info and links on this in english or swedish, please add them.

/Johan

Views

• Hi!

In case you buy a flat, your responsibilities depend on the building. Usually, you should take into account some monetary responsibilities (e.g. trash collection, administration fees, heating, possibly a renovation fund payment). The exact fees payable should be discussed with the seller/realtor. In return, the management company/apartment administration takes care of de-icing, snow plowing, cleaning and maintaining the hallways, etc.

With regard to renovation, it depends on the extent of the planned changes. In case you simply want to change tapestry, etc., no permission or notices are required. Should you wish to make bigger changes, a building notice and/or design documentation may be needed. Please see a general overview here.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to buy real estate without visiting Estonia. All transactions with real estate must be certified by an Estonian notary. However, if previous arrangements have been made and a time with a notary public agreed upon, the formalities should not take more than 1-2 hours.

Information posted above is intended as a general guide and does not constitute legal advice.

• Thank you for this answer!
    I will reflect on it and i am sure i have some more questions later.
    Do you know how the procedure for "non-estonian citizens" looks?
    Since i am swedish, i guess i need to be "approved" somehow?
    Does it help that i already have my e-Residency card, or do i still need to make some appeal to local authorities?
    /Johan

• Happy to help!

The procedure is the same for foreigners as it is for locals. Unless you plan to acquire agricultural or forest land or real estate located in a border region, no restrictions apply and no permits are needed. So in most cases, you do not need any approvals.

Information posted above is intended as a general guide and does not constitute legal advice.

Views

Internal error.

Oops! Looks like something went wrong!